Sunday, May 10, 2020

ALS Mother's Day

Jonathan's Facebook Post from Today:

Day #10:
“God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.“ – Rudyard Kipling
Happy Mother’s Day! I am so grateful for my dear wife and mother to my children, for my own mother and mother-in-law, and for the many mothers and women who have mothered me and my family throughout my life.
I’m simply grateful to my own mother who sacrificed for me and my siblings so that we might enjoy our youth. She sacrificed much for me to help me become who I am today. I’m eternally grateful to her.
I know that my journey is made easier because of MANY women who attend to the needs of me and my family. To them, I say Thank You!
If there was one thing I could change, I wish that all women could realize their divine worth and to know that their efforts are enough! This world is divine because women were placed upon the earth. Women have given of themselves so wholly and completely to raise families and succor the downtrodden. It has been said that if mothers of the world could simply meet each other, there would be no more wars. Such is the power of a mother!
#ALSAwarenessMonth #AMotherIsLove #MothersDay2020 #HopeIsNeverLost



These were my thoughts on Mother's Day:

Two years ago Jonathan and I loaded up the 7 kids and decided to make a memory - we headed for Six Flags Amusement Park for fun to be had by all. The three big boys made a pact to conquer every manly ride in the park. Consequently, they abandoned Jonathan and I, and the 4 younger kids to spend our time on the less thrilling rides. Michael and I decided to go get soda, and left Jonathan watching the 3 youngest kids on a gargantuan treehouse structure with swinging bridges, slides, and spraying water. It was a grand adventure! Unbeknownst to me standing in line, Jonathan had to go to the bathroom and the 45 minute wait to get soda was wearing on him. Recognizing that he was nearing a point of emergency he left for the bathroom just before I got back to the treehouse. Due to the growing affects of ALS, his weakening hands, unpredictable balance and bowel changes resulted in a grown man texting an SOS from within the stall of the men’s restroom with poop down to his ankles. He couldn’t get his pants down in time and I hand’t been there to help him. I sat there in an awful pickle. The big boys were gone, Jonathan couldn’t clean himself up and I had four small children. I was in an earnest need for help. I said a fervent prayer and looked around. Standing along the play structure was a woman whose heart I trusted. I explained to her that I had a disabled husband who was in great need of assistance in the bathroom and that I had 4 children and asked if she could please help me. I didn’t know her. I had never spoken a word to her, but I knew she had a mother’s heart. I pointed out my four kids and tried to help her remember what color of clothing they were wearing and asked if she would please, please keep them safe until I return. And with every ounce of faith I could muster, I pleaded with God to keep my children safe and I went to assist Jonathan. Cleaning up a grown man who has found himself in such an unruly predicament is no small feat. Grooming him to the point of being able to walk out of the restroom in a dignified manner required many, many, baby wipes and even more time. After what must have been a minimum of 30 minutes hunkered in a stall in the men’s restroom, I ducked my head and dashed past the 4 or 5 gentlemen perched at urinals and ran to find my kids. Knowing God was watching them even closer than I, I approached this seasoned woman I had left as sentinel and found each of my kids still playing, not recognizing that I had even been gone. This blessed woman, this complete stranger, this divine daughter of God, with a mother’s heart, was there when I needed her.
Dear sisters, she is but one of an innumerable army.
To each of you who has been there, to every mother heart that has responded to the call to nurture even when the dumplings didn't come from your womb - thank you.
We each have moments, days, weeks, years, and seasons when we realize we are broken cookies - that no matter how hard we try, parts of our lives crumble- and we are simply not enough. God didn’t send just one mother, but a multitude of mothers to guide His children home. Lifting where we stand, no matter what crumbs lie at our own feet, we -God’s mothers, have an incalculable power to do good. Let us continue on, united, in so great a call

No comments: