Saturday, April 11, 2020

The Witness of the Matzah


At the conclusion of a family fast for relief from Covid-19 on Good Friday, we participated in a Passover meal together.  I love the Passover because it allows us to learn through the powerful tool of symbols.  Symbols pass their meaning to us in an emotional way.  Unfettered by explanation, they speak their meanings directly to the heart.  Throughout time God has used symbols to teach His children.  I wanted to do the same with mine.

The meal commenced with celebratory glasses of grape juice and proceeded until we came to the ritual called Yachatz.  At this time, I lifted a plate that had resting upon it three pieces of Matzah, or unleavened bread.  I asked my kids what these three Matzah could represent.  One of them replied, our Heavenly Father, His Son, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost.  Without saying more, I lifted the middle Matzah and with an audible snap, broke it into two pieces. I gently placed a broken piece into a folded white napkin where it now lay wrapped and hidden from our view.  I then asked them again what this was symbolic of.  There was a stillness, and in that moment my mama heart knew I no longer was at the helm of this meal.   A teacher greater than I was speaking to my children.  Not with words, but to their hearts.  Each of us felt it.  The Holy Ghost, who's divinely appointed roll is to bear witness of the Son, in gentle, quiet, and perfect ways bore witness.  One child then spoke, "That is a symbol of the crucifixion and Jesus being laid in a tomb."

We continued on with the meal enduring big bites of bitter herb (horseradish), drank superfluous amounts of grape juice (which too carries symbolism), ate lamb for the first time in several years and then returned again to the broken piece of Matzah hidden in the napkin.  The conversation continued, but this time we spoke of sacramental symbols and the power of deliverance.  It made me think of this conversation I had with Aaron several weeks ago during a video dialogue I felt prompted to record. 





With the joyful anticipation of a child we proclaim that we believe in a resurrection.  We absolutely believe that each of us will rise again, with glorified and perfected bodies made possible by the Savior of this world.  We love Him, and this Easter season testify again, that He lives.

It is my prayer that each of us will recognize for the first time, or yet again, our own personal "Matzah Moment" when we #HearHim and receive a quiet, gentle, witness that He lives.

No comments: