Sunday, August 12, 2007

Vote Mitt

Living in Iowa has been one of the most unique political experiences I believe I will ever have. I have always lived in a politically red state (one that always votes Republican by majority), but Iowa is considered a purple state. Purple simply means that we are a swing state -we can go either way - republican or democrat in the majority. Because of the unsure nature of the state it is a rally ground for every political figure, including the current Jenson family pick for President, Mitt Romney (http://www.mittromney.com/). Mitt is a daily talked about figure in our home. We (or at least Jonathan, because by bedtime I am ususally out and he catches me up in the morning) Google him every night before bed and keep up on all of his current events. I guess we care so much about him because in Iowa, he really cares about us. Between himself and his 5 sons they have visited every county in Iowa. Jonathan and I have both been to several Mitt gatherings and yesterday were privileged to attend the Iowa Straw Poll in Ames, IA to cast our vote in favor of Mitt Romney for President. The political process in Iowa is so intriguing. I never thought I would care for politics nor have any idea how the political processes work, but we have caught the bug. The Straw Poll is a traditional precusor to the Republican Iowa Caucuses that will be held this coming Dec. or Jan. The results of the Straw Poll have been indicative of future picks for president and it is used as the first feel for who America will choose as the Republican Party Candidate. It has been 8 years since the last straw poll and time will only tell when there will be another depending on who will be the next president and when a new Republican Candidate needs to be determined. There have been discrepancies with this year's Poll as two of the top-tier candidates (Guiliani and McCain) bailed out of the event and didn't show up. Regardless of their choices not to attend, Romney stormed the event and won with 31% of the votes for the day. Aside from the nuts and bolts of the experience the thing that I will always remember most was the spiritual manifestations that occurred to me standing on a balcony overlooking the mass of people and what was occuring that day. I have never experienced so deeply what it means to be an American until that moment, when I saw the patriotism of thousands upon thousands of simple Iowa folk with a true and honest desire to do what is right for America, stand up and make their voice heard and continue to progress in the American dream of "one nation, under God." I was unprepared for the feelings I would feel while I was there. It was a beaufitul experience. I felt for one small moment what Nephi meant when he called America a "chosen land." I understood in the smallest way why men and women continue to sacrifrice their lives for the freedoms we enjoy and seek for others to enjoy. Taking an active part in the democratic process and casting a vote meant more to me than it ever has- my eyes were changed and I saw that God does bless America. Throughout my lifetime I have taken for granted the blessing of living here. The freedoms we experience every day become so rote and battles fought have long been forgotten, but in one small moment I was reminded that America is a miracle, a latter-day miracle that I live every day. Thanks be to our Father for this land.

THE BUS!! We rode a bus from Coralville to Ames with a load of other Romney supporters. Adam was SO excited to ride a bus. Matthew was fascinated with the water dripping from the bus' air conditioner.
Mom, Matthew, Dad, Adam and Aunt Becky ready to load the bus and take off on our 2 hour ride to Ames
What's that?
Dad and Adam got a little rowdy on the way there, but Matthew on the other hand,
was a perfect angel. (Kind of - notice boo boo on finger)
Adam and Aunt Becky - bless Aunt Becky for providing Adam entertainment the entire way, book after book after book.


We did more than vote- there was food, fun and humidity
Dad and Matthew!
Hmm, what to eat first? I'm so tired I can hardly think of eating at this point, I can't remember the last time I spent an entire day in the nasty Iowa August heat and humidity and who is Mitt?
Say cheese! See my ow-ee?
Amen, bud.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber, I love it! You're blog is so stinkin' cute! What an amazing experience for you and your family. You made me take a minute and really reflect on this beautiful country we call America. Thank you for your insight and wisdom.

Love and miss ya tons!

Wens

Heather said...

How cute is your family?!?!?!?! It's so fun to know I can keep up with you now a little more. Check out my blog, I sent it in an email! Luv ya, Heather

Elizabeth said...

Mitt is googled by Kalani nightly here also. That is awesome that you were able to be for all of that.