Friday, January 11, 2013

Grandma Dear I Love You So...

It's not every person, nor every day that one can wake up and say, today I have lived 100 years.
January 8th, 2013 my maternal Grandmother, Uwin VanBuren awoke to having lived through a century.

Oh, how I love her.

I have never heard her utter a terse word.
Her carpet was always immaculate.  When she walked into a room she would scan the carpet for a piece of string, blade of grass, anything that didn't belong and quickly remove it to the garbage.  She had the most amazing set of finger vacuums I have ever known.
She made really creamy macaroni and cheese that my brother Ryan loved.
We always played Rook around her kitchen table.
She loved to sit on her patio in the evening and enjoy the warmth of Orangeville summers.
Her garden had an infinite supply of green peas in the early spring.
She loved us and even made us jam when we trampled through the mulberries under the tree in our bare toes and came in with purple footprints on her new cream carpet.
She always used peach colored Dove soap.

Now she lives in an assisted living facility.  Her eyesight has been gone for several years due to macular degeneration.  She lost my Grandfather 8 years ago.  He would have been 100 this year also.  But her mind is sharp and her memory clear.  I can walk into the room and say, "Hi Grandma!" and she knows just who it is.

Happy 100th Birthday Grandma!

Myself, Grandma Van Buren and my mother, Barbara Olsen
Jenson Family with Grandma Van Buren - Summer 2013
                                   


2 comments:

Koreena said...

She sounds like a wonderful grandma to have!

Sandi said...

What a sweet post!