Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Taste of My Own Medicine

Last night Jonathan got a call a little after ten to do an inter-thecal block for a laboring woman in Centerville. The drive to the Centerville hospital is about 40 minutes from our home. He got dressed and ready, I said goodnight he and headed out the door. A little after 2 AM he got home after placing the inter-thecal and crawled into bed. He had almost fallen asleep when the phone rang again. Centerville - she had failed to progress and now was needing to go to a C-Section. Back in the car he went for his second trip to Centerville to do the spinal on the lady. Some time after 5 AM he was back to bed the second time. Unbeknownst of his long night I woke feeling rested and ready for a happy Sabbath. He was a little sluggish on the draw and in fact didn't get up with the 7 AM alarm for P.E.C. (What a slacker...) It wasn't until after church when we finally had a few moments to talk that I found out he had made two trips to Centerville and didn't really sleep last night.

I just laughed. I was clueless to his phone ringing in the night, him coming... going... talking to nurses. I slept... well, dang hard.

Only now do I have a twinge of appreciation for his comments in the morning that go a little like this... "Wow, that was a great night. Did the boys all sleep through the night?" And through bloodshot eyes I wonder to myself, how is it humanly possible for him to be unaware of the 5 wake-up sessions I had with 3 different children.

It's all about selective hearing... his is buzzing, mine is whimpering. But ya know folks... we get r' done.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

That's pretty ironic

Kaleb and Abby Widmier said...

That's perfect...selective sleeping. You do what you have to...right? Your boys are beautiful...I love reading about them. What a great family to be a part of! Love you!