Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ottumwa Ward Hay Ride

Susie Wright is one of the most hospitable, genuinely lovable people I have ever had the opportunity to know. She is an older sister in our ward that has a farm in the middle of nowhere Iowa. Her and her husband Sam time after time graciously offer their home for a million reasons. We have been there to have raspberry french toast for brunch every month for over a year, picked hundreds of ears of the sweetest corn ever known to bag and freeze, hauled off with loads of sheep manure for compost, helped bottle feed lambs and kittens, and spent hours enjoying our ward family at the annual ward hay ride. Sam is not a member of the church but is wonderful and open to the ward descending upon them time and time again. I hope I grow old like Susie. She is one of my life's heros.
Our sweet Susie.

Here is a little run down of the 2010 hayride. We were an hour late (can't stop a plumbing job mid-way) but still managed to spend over 3 hours playing at her place.
Andrew loved the "ho-sies!" He was climbing the fence to get in and pet them.
Adam and Sam Zimmerman made each other sick going round and round on the tire swing. Adam told Jonathan we have definitely got to hang up one of those at our place.
See what I mean. Susie's place is pure bliss.
I think Andrew may have found his first crush. Drew and him were buddies all night.
Ma and the boys aboard the wagon.
Mr. Matthew
The Wright's farm hundreds of acres of corn. We rode along through the fields. It was really pretty.
This is my enemy. Brother Duker has decided to claim the coveted Boy Scout marshmallow cross bow as his own. Although I saw it first and wanted it worse than him. He believes his contributions as popcorn sales rep. give him dibs to it. I however, as the Scout committee chairman believe it should me mine!
After we roast hot dogs and pot luck we take the hay ride. Sam pulls us around and Susie preps the home front with hot cocoa and smores upon our return.
Smore on one side of the fence, adventure waiting on the other...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun! It makes me want a little elbow room all those corn fields and don home fun. I loved the butterflies, I have been wanting to get one of those butterfly hatching kits. It looks like your kids loved it. You kiddos are getting so big and SO cute. Miss you so much! Love you Ams.